Green Salad with ‘Beet-con’ Crisps
I love me a potluck. Sharing is caring in my books, and gatherings like these never fail to make me feel happy inside. I truly have attended some epic potlucks; one last year in particular stood out due to the plethora of vegan and gluten-free options available. I’m quite used to enjoying the fruit salad and veggie trays at a regular potluck, but give me a vegan smorgasbord and I’m one happy girl.
Today my vegan dreams come true; its Virtual Vegan Potluck! VVP is a twice-annual plant-based online food PARTY! Everyone is invited, vegans and non-vegans alike, so put on an apron, and let’s get cooking
My contribution is a salad using the featured ingredient; beets! Bacon substitutes have been all the rage lately with coconut bacon, tempeh bacon, and even eggplant bacon popping up left, right, and centre. I tried my own hand at making a delicious bacon-esque crisp, in order to join the ranks of non-meat eating bacon lovers everywhere.
These crisps compliment the sweet raspberry vinaigrette perfectly. Made with hemp seeds and real raspberries, the dressing packs a nutritional punch (not to mention, it’s delicious)! Once combined, these ingredients create a salad that not only tastes great, but also is quite beautiful. Just look at the colours!
Yield: 2 c. beet-con crisps; approx. 1 c. Raspberry Vinaigrette dressing
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
For the beet-con crisps
- 1 large beet, sliced very finely
- 2 tbsp. tamari
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp. neutral oil (eg. safflower)
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
For the Raspberry Vinaigrette
- 1/2 c. hemp seeds
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 tbsp. soy milk
- 1.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 c. fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
For the salad
- greens (spinach, spring mix, etc.)
- sliced mushroom, cherry tomatoes, etc.
For the beets
- Slice beets as finely as possible using a sharp knife or a mandoline.
- Place beets in a bowl and pour wet ingredients over top. Stir well and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spread marinated beets in a single layer on tray.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes (time will depend on thinness of beets). Check every 10 minutes or so to prevent burning, and flip once halfway through baking time.
For the dressing
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
For the salad
- Assemble salad with desired vegetables and amount of dressing. Garnish with beet crisps.
Below are the links to the previous and next blogs involved in the potluck! Check them out, or you can start from the very beginning of the potluck ‘circle’ here.