Wild Rice, Quinoa, and Edamame Salad + Liebster Award!
Think back to your awkward preteen years for a moment. For me, middle school consisted of braces, listening to Ashlee Simpson on repeat (oh, so edgy), The Clique book series, and questionable fashion choices. I had a hard time expressing myself, so I often resorted to drawing on my peer’s choices as inspiration. I was what you call a copycat, and when it comes to finding recipe inspiration, not much has changed.
Thinking back, my most shameful imitation was succumbing to the peer pressure of Crocs. Do you remember those horrible pieces of footwear? I had purple ones. *Shudder* Since I’m confessing all my deep, dark secrets to you, I’ll be transparent in saying that this recipe is a straight up forgery. My wonderful mother bought me a prepared quinoa salad for lunch at the grocery store a few weeks back, and I couldn’t get enough. I quickly got to trying to replicate the flavours, but likely with less oil and salt than the store-made stuff.
Wild Rice, Quinoa, and Edamame Salad
Cook Time: 30 minutes (plus chill time)
Keywords: appetizer salad entree side gluten-free vegan vegetarian wheat-free almonds quinoa rice
Ingredients (4-6 servings)
- 1 c. wild or brown rice, cooked according to directions
- 1 c. quinoa, cooked according to directions
- 3/4 c. frozen shelled edamame beans, thawed
- 1 carrot, julienned or grated
- 1 c. cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp mint, chopped
- 1/4 c. raw almonds, finely chopped
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- optional: 1/2 tsp. green curry paste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chop almonds roughly and roast for 10 minutes.
Prepare the grains and run edamame under warm water to thaw.
Prepare veggies and place in a mixing bowl with grains, edamame, herbs, and almonds.
Prepare dressing by whisking ingredients together and pour over salad.
Mix well to combine. Refrigerate and serve cold.
The lovely Alysha kindly nominated me for a Liebster award! Here are the questions she asked her nominees:
1. What’s the best recipe that you’ve ever found online?
Luckily I bookmark everything! It’s so hard to choose just one, but I have made this chickpea pancake so many times I have it memorized!
2. The first blog you ever starting following?
3. Something you always carry with you?
Keys, Booda Butter lip balm, a notebook, and pen.
4. What gets you motivated to work out?
Endorphins, and the gratitude that I am able-bodied and healthy enough to do so!
5. Who is your favourite person to follow on Instagram?
I’m plugging for my friend Ashley; I love following her account @PaintedLadyFitness for tons of life and fitness inspiration.
6. Are you a procrastinator?
Let me get back to you on that one…
7. Do you have a favourite bar or on the go snack?
I should have added to the above question that I never go anywhere without trail mix.
8. Your favourite book or magazine?
I could never choose just one book, but I highlighted some of my favourites here.
9. What’s your favourite song right now?
I’m digging Zebra by Beach House.
10. What do you love most about the blogging community?
How supportive and congenial everyone is
1. Is there any meaning or story behind your given birth name?
2. What is your favourite colour ink to write with?
3. What is your favourite smartphone app?
4. What ingredient or food item could you simply not live without.
5. You’re on your way to buy yourself a well deserved treat. What is it?
6. What is your favourite way to get your body moving?
7. What is your favourite hour of the day?
8. What is your number one listened-to song on iTunes?
9. What movie can you quote beginning to end?
10. What is the best piece of advice you were ever given?